Import loans support the import of strategically important goods by Japanese firms, including oil, natural gas (such as LNG) and iron ore. The guarantee facility is available for the import of goods other than natural resources.
Natural resources: minerals, metals, oil, oil-derived gas, natural gas, coal, mineral phosphate, iron and steel scrap, cotton, lumber, wood tips, wood pulp, etc.
JBIC provides loans in cofinancing with other financial institutions (usually the loan applicant's bank(s)) to meet the client's financial needs.
The loan amount does not exceed the value of the import contract. Loans are disbursed when actual financing needs occur.
Coverage and Interest Rates
Loan interest rates are linked to funding cost of JBIC, including the rate on borrowings from the Fiscal Loan Fund Special Account, and thus they are subject to changes in conditions of the financial market. A loan applicant should make an inquiry at the relevant loan department for specific loan conditions.
Repayment Period and Method
- Repayment Period
- The repayment period varies depending on goods and contract value and is determined after reviewing the import contract.
- Repayment Method
- The sum of principal and interest has to be repaid, in principle, by installments.
Security and Guarantee
JBIC makes its own judgment on the need for security or guarantee after consulting with the client.
The importers of goods other than natural resources may resort to the following guarantee facility.
Products, such as aircraft, truly required for the sound development of the national economy.
Terms and Conditions
- Guarantees will cover, in principle, 80 percent of funds required for importing goods.
- Guarantee Period
- Up to 15 years from the time of the import
- The guarantee is, in principle, secured on the imported product.