Equity Participation in Fund of Funds Investing in Private Equity Fund Specialized in Resources and Energy Sectors
Supporting Creation of Investment Opportunities for Japanese Companies in Resources and Energy Projects mainly in North America
- Area: North America
- Energy and Natural Resources
- Equity Participations
- The Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC; Governor: Hiroshi Okuda) signed on October 4, the agreement for equity participation in Energy Opportunity Fund, L.P. (the Fund) that is managed by a subsidiary of Alternative Investment Capital Limited (AIC) *1and invests in private equity funds specialize in resources and energy sectors.
- The fund will be funded by Mitsubishi Corporation, Shinkin Central Bank and JBIC, and managed by AIC in collaboration with TorreyCove Capital Partners LLC *2who has experience in investing in the private equity funds that specialize in resource and energy sectors in North America. JBIC will contribute up to 50 million U.S. dollars.
- In recent years, the investments in resources and energy sectors in North America are booming with the shale gas revolution, but the participation by Japanese companies and institutional investors are somewhat limited up to now with limited investment experience and access in such sectors. Through the investment in the fund, it is expected to provide future investment in resources and energy sectors for Japanese companies and institutional investors.
- As a public financial institution, JBIC will continue to actively support Japanese industries in their efforts to maintain and improve international competitiveness by drawing on its various financial facilities and schemes.
- *1 AIC is a company that provides assets management services to Japanese institutional investors and pension funds.
- *2 TorreyCove Capital Partners LLC is a company that provides non-discretionary investment advisory services mainly to major U.S. public pension funds and institutional investors.