- Region: Others
- Equity Participations
April, 27 2012
- The Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC; Governor: Hiroshi Okuda) signed on April 26, agreements for equity participation in Japan Infrastructure Investment Partners L.P., （“the Fund”）, which will invest in large scale infrastructure projects mainly in North American and European countries. The Fund will be managed by a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation (Mitsubishi Corp.) and formed by and among Mitsubishi Corp, Mizuho Corporate Bank and JBIC. JBIC will contribute up to 528million U.S. dollars.
- The Fund will invest in large scale infrastructure projects principally such as airport, railway, port, power transmission and distribution, and gas pipeline mainly in North American and European countries, by participating in the Global Strategic Investment Alliance（GSIA）*1, which is led by the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS), a public pension fund in the province of Ontario in Canada.
- Japanese companies and institutional investors have had limited access to investment opportunities of large scale infrastructure projects in North American and European countries. OMERS is an institutional investor that has a long list of achievements in infrastructure investment. Therefore, by collaborating with OMERS, infrastructure investment by the Fund, managed by Mitsubishi Corp. through its subsidiary is expected to bring in expanding investment opportunities in this area for companies and institutional investors in Japan.
- JBIC launched JBIC Enhanced Facility for Global Cooperation in Low Carbon Infrastructure and Equity Investment (E-FACE)*2 in April 2011, and announced its support for strategic projects such as overseas infrastructure businesses and M&A projects, etc. by mobilizing private sector funding. JBIC will invest in the fund focusing on infrastructure business, and it will be thus regarded as a supporting project under E-FACE.
- JBIC is committed to actively supporting Japanese companies in their efforts to maintain and develop international competitiveness by utilizing various financial tools.
- *1 An alliance of investors launched by multiple investors.
- *2 See Press Release on April 1, 2011.