- Region: Latin America and the Caribbean
- Securitization and Other Financial Instruments
August 8, 2013
- The Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC; President & CEO: Hiroshi Okuda) has today acquired a part of public offered yen-denominated foreign bonds (Samurai bonds)*1 issued in Japan by the Government of the United Mexican States under the Guarantee and Acquisition toward Tokyo market Enhancement (GATE)*2 facilities.*3
- JBIC has provided guarantees for Samurai bonds issued, in the total amount of 300 billion yen, by the Mexican Government in December 2009 and October 2010, and also acquired a part of their 80 billion yen Samurai bonds issued in June 2012*4. This time, in light of growing recognition of the Mexican Government by investors in the Tokyo market through their issuance of Samurai bonds with JBIC support these past three times, JBIC supports the Mexican Government's issuance by acquiring a part of their Samurai bonds which include longer maturities compared to the previous issuance.
- The gradual support for the Mexican Government's Samurai bonds issuance will contribute to maintaining and increasing the presence of Mexican sovereign bonds in the Tokyo bond market. JBIC's support for Samurai bonds issued by foreign issuers in the Tokyo bond market will also offer a wide range of investment opportunities to Japanese investors and is thereby expected to invigorate the Samurai bond market.
- JBIC will continue to support Samurai bonds issued by foreign governments and governmental agencies in the Tokyo market by utilizing the GATE facility and by further strengthening the relationship with the Mexican Government through various approaches including policy dialogue*5.
- *1 The original Shelf Registration Statement was filed on June 3, 2013, and Amendment to Shelf Registration Statement on July 23, 2013, and Supplemental Document to Shelf Registration Statement submitted to the Kanto Local Finance Bureau from the Mexican Government on July 30, 2013.
- *2 See Press Release on April 15, 2010.
- *3 JBIC has communicated to the Mexican Government its intention of acquiring a part of Mexican Samurai bonds issued through a co-lead arranger.
- *4 See Press Release on June 1, 2012.
- *5 See Press Release on February 23, 2011, and Topics on November 28, 2012.